[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Caution: Think you can avoid income taxes by transferring your assets to a "pure equity" or common-law trust? Visit the Tax Prophet's Trust Scam Bulletin Board. Save yourself a lot of money and potential grief!
To subscribe to Tax Prophet's Newsletter, click here.
May, 2009 Is Your Life Insurance Policy Imploding?
April, 2009 Top Tax Scams for 2009
March, 2009 Limited Amnesty for Off-Shore Accounts
February, 2009 Swiss Bank Admits to U.S. Tax Fraud
January, 2009 The 2009 Estate Tax Roller Coaster
December, 2008 The Madoff Scam - Tax Relief for Victims?
November, 2008 Swiss Secret Accounts Under Fire
October, 2008 Sarah Palin's Makeover - Tax Issues
September, 2008 Theft Loss Deduction
August, 2008 Residence Exclusion - New Limitation
July, 2008 Your Independent Contractor Business: Choice of Entity
June, 2008 Wheel of Fortune IRS Style
May, 2008 Foreign Bank Accounts
April, 2008 Wesley Snipes Headed for Club Fed
March, 2008 2008 Dirty Dozen Tax Schemes
February, 2008 The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008
January, 2008 The Wesley Snipes Trial
December, 2007 The Mortgage Debt Tax Relief Act
November, 2007 NY Yankee Derek Jeter - A Tax Outlaw?
October, 2007 Tax Consequences of Mortgage Foreclosures
September, 2007 Trust Transfers and Proposition 13 - Part Two
August, 2007 Trust Transfers and Proposition 13 - Part One
July, 2007 A Major New Tax Loophole for Tax Exempt Entities
June, 2007 The Private Equity Tax Loophole
May, 2007 Congress Shafts Families Saving for College
April, 2007 Tax Consequences of Stock Option Backdating
March, 2007 IRS Attacks Private Trust Annuity Tax Ploy
February, 2007 Selected Divorce Tax Traps
January, 2007 Introducing the Ownership Continuity and Control Plan ("OCC Plan")
December, 2006 An Outline: "Update: Foreign Earned Income Exclusion"
November, 2006 Taxation of Stock Options Transferred Pursuant to Divorce
October, 2006 IRS Crackdown on Obscure International Entertainers
October, 2006 - Special Edition Comparing S corporations with Limited Liability Companies
September, 2006 A Tax Haven for Rock Stars
August, 2006 Deducting International Business Travel
July, 2006 Deducting Personal Travel
June, 2006 IRS Targets Small Business
June, 2006 Taxation of Bounties (Special Edition)
May, 2006 Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005
May, 2006 Subsequent Capital Losses Cannot Offset AMT (Special Edition)
April, 2006 Qualified Personal Residence Trust
March, 2006 IRS - Too Kind and Gentle?
February, 2006 New U.S. Production Activities Deduction
January, 2006 "Survivor" Richard Hatch Guity of Tax Evasion
December, 2005 Estate Planning Considerations for 2006
November, 2005 Tax Evasion Through Pay Pal?
October, 2005 IRS Announces Tax Shelter Initiative
September, 2005 Hurricane Katrina - Tax Breaks
August, 2005 Tax Free Exchanges part 2 of 2
July, 2005 Tax Free Exchanges part 1 of 2
June, 2005 Major Tax Court Scandal
May, 2005 The Residence Exclusion
April, 2005 Hidden Dangers of California's Community Property Law
March, 2005 Wealthy Taxpayers Ignore Mainstream Tax-Planning
February, 2005 Strict Limits on Foreign Profits Tax Break
January, 2005 Combining the Residency Exclusion with Tax-Free Exchanges
December, 2004 Last Minute Planning Ideas for 2004
November, 2004 California's Domestic Partners Act
October, 2004 American Jobs Creation Act of 2004
September, 2004 Limited Amnesty for California Taxpayers
August, 2004 Basics of the Federal Estate Tax
July, 2004 Administering a Revocable Living Trust after the Death of the Settlor
June, 2004 Tax Consequences of Gifts
May, 2004 Taxation of Vacation Homes
April, 2004 Alternative Minimum Tax
March, 2004 - New Investment Tax Rules
February, 2004 - Tax Breaks for 2004
January, 2004 - The Basics of Asset Protection
December, 2003 - Last Minute Planning Ideas
November,2003 - Irrevocable Trusts - The Basics
September, 2003 - TAX PROBLEMS - What To Do If You Get A Notice For Additional Taxes
August, 2003 - A Revocable Trust - The Basics
June, 2003 - Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003
May,2003 - Pending Tax Legislation
Note: Hot Topics has been replaced by the monthly newsletters above.
2004 Hot Topics
- November, 2004 California's Domestic Partner Act
- October, 2004 Limited Amnesty for California Taxpayers
- September, 2004 Basics of the Federal Estate Tax
- August, 2004 - U.S. Virgin Islands Tax Credit Scam - part 2 of a 2-part series
- July, 2004 - U.S. Virgin Islands Tax Credit Scam - part 1 of a 2-part series
- June, 2004 - Taxation of Vacation Homes
- May, 2004 - New California's Franchise Tax Board Withholding Rules, part 2 of 2.
- April, 2004 - New California's Franchise Tax Board Withholding Rules, part 1 of 2.
- March, 2004 - California's Voluntary Compliance Initiative, part 2 of 2.
- February, 2004 - California's Voluntary Compliance Initiative, part 1 of 2
- January, 2004 - IRS Cracks Down on Attorneys Writing Phony Tax Shelter Opinions
2003 Hot Topics
- December, 2003 - Planning to Save (Taxes), part 2 of 2.
- November, 2003 - Planning to Save (Taxes), part 1 of 2.
- October, 2003 - Tax Relief for Military Families
- September, 2003 - Avoiding the Independent Contractor vs. Employee Quagmire
- August, 2003 - Corporate Inversions
- July, 2003 - Tax Reform Act of 2003 - Tax Planning Opportunities (Part 2 of 2)
- June, 2003 - Tax Reform Act of 2003 - Explanation (Part 1 of 2)
- May, 2003 - Tax Amnesty for Offshore Accounts: The Program and Results
- April, 2003: President Bush's Dividend Exclusion Proposal
- March, 2003: Busted Tax Shelters Wealthy Sue Accountants for Bad Advice
- February, 2003 - Issues to Consider When Merging Two S Corporations or Other Closely-Held Entities (Part 2 of 2)
- January, 2003 - Issues to Consider When Merging Two S Corporations or Other Closely-Held Entities (Part 1 of 2)
2002 Hot Topics
- December, 2002 - Update on Asset Protection Planning, part 2 of a 2-part series
- November, 2002 - Update on Asset Protection Planning, part 1 of a 2-part series
- October, 2002 - IRS Switches Auditing Gears Goes After Wealthy Tax Cheats
- September, 2002 - AMT Meets ISO - Thousands of High-Tech Employees are Devastated, part 2
- August, 2002 - AMT Meets ISO - Thousands of High-Tech Employees are Devastated, part 1
- July, 2002 - Is IRS Losing the Battle Against Tax Cheats
- June, 2002 - Changing the Way Married Couples Hold Title in California
- May, 2002 - IRS Audits Target Wage Earners, Not the Wealthy, part 2
- April, 2002 - IRS Audits Target Wage Earners, Not the Wealthy, part 1
- March, 2002 - Income Tax Preparation and Assistance on the Web
- February, 2002 - Exercising ISOs and the AMT - The Dual-Basis Concept
- January, 2002 - Memorandum: Tax Planning Opportunities for Foreign Consultants Working in the U.S.
2001 Hot Topics
- December, 2001 - Taxation of Day Traders
- November, 2001 - Tax Planning For U.S. Citizens and Residents Working Abroad
- October, 2001 - Foreign Taxpayers Beware: U.S. Estate and Gift-Tax Law Can Hit Wallet Hard
- September, 2001 - ISOs Meet the AMT, part 2
- August, 2001 - ISOs Meet the AMT, part 1
- July, 2001 - 2001 Tax Reform Act, part 2
- June, 2001 - 2001 Tax Reform Act, part 1
- May, 2001 - Tax Scams on the Web, part 2
- April, 2001 - Tax Scams on the Web, part 1
- March, 2001 - Income Tax Preparation and Assistance on the Web
- February ,2001 - Employee Stock Options - a Primer, part 2 of a 2-part series
- January ,2001 - Employee Stock Options - a Primer, part 1 of a 2-part series
2000 Hot Topics
- December, 2000 - 2000 Year End Tax Planning
- November, 2000 - The Current Tax Burden in Perspective - Analyzing the Gore and Bush Tax Proposals
- October, 2000 - Repeal of the Estate Tax - More Election-Year Hype, part 2
- September, 2000 - Repeal of the Estate Tax - More Election-Year Hype, part 1
- August, 2000 - The Demise of the Off-Shore Tax Haven Industry, part 2
- July, 2000 - The Demise of the Off-Shore Tax Haven Industry, part 1
- June, 2000 - Tax Issues Concerning Small Businesses, part 2
- May, 2000 - Tax Issues Concerning Small Businesses, part 1
- April, 2000 - Ten Last-Minute Items to Consider When Filing Your Return
- March, 2000 - Income Tax Preparation and Assistance on the Web
- February, 2000 - Taxation of E-Commerce, part 2
- January, 2000 - Taxation of E-Commerce, part 1
1999 Hot Topics
- December, 1999 - Last Minute Tax Planning Suggestions
- November, 1999 - Tax Scam Victimizing Charities - part 2
- October, 1999 - Tax Scams Victimizing Charities - part 1
- September, 1999 - The Asset Protection Industry, an Expensive and Wasteful Exercise in Wishful Thinking - part 2
- August, 1999 - The Asset Protection Industry, an Expensive and Wasteful Exercise in Wishful Thinking - part 1
- July, 1999 - High Stakes Audit Roulette- Corporate Tax Scams - part 2
- June, 1999 -High Stakes Audit Roulette- Corporate Tax Scams - part 1
- May, 1999 - Tax Consequences of Acquisitions
- April, 1999 - Growing Your Business Through Acquisitions - An Overlooked Opportunity
- March, 1999 - Twenty-One Items to Consider Before Filing Your 1998 Tax Return
- February 1999 - Income Tax Preparation and Assistance on the Web
- January 1999 - Stock Options
1998 Hot Topics
- December 1998 - Tax Year 1998: Last-Minute Tax Planning Opportunities
- November 1998 - IRS Revamps Offer in Compromise Policy
- October 1998 - Off-Shore Protection Trusts, Part 2
- September 1998 - 1998 IRS Restructuring and Reform Act, Part 2
- August 1998 - 1998 Tax Legislation: IRS Restructuring and Reform, Part 1
- July 1998 - Off-Shore Protection Trusts, Part 1
- June 1998 - Tax Protestor Movement - Still Batting Zero
- May 1998 -- Trust Scams - An Update
- April 1998 -- 14 Items to Consider Before Filing Your 1997 Tax Return
- March 1998 -- Retirement Accounts and Estate Taxes
- February 1998 -- Tax Preparation and Assistance on the Web
- January 1998 -- The Sale of a Principal Residence
1997 Hot Topics
- December 97 -- Tax Year 1997 in Review; Tax Planning for Capital Gains
- November 97 -- Taxpayer's Bill of Rights III
- October 97 -- A Ten-Step Program to Fix the U.S. Tax System
- September 97 -- Anatomy of a Trust Scam
- August 1997 -- The Taxpayer's Relief Act of 1997 -- Christmas in July!
- July 1997 -- Tax Consequences of Gifts to Minors Using Custodial Accounts
- June 1997 -- Application of the Property Tax Rules - Proposition 13, Part II
- May 1997 -- Avoiding the Pitfalls Present in California's Proposition 13, Part I
- April 1997 -- "Check-the-Box" Regulations Can Simplify Business Classification
- March 1997 -- Inaccurate Tax Returns Could Result in Civil and Criminal Penalties
- February 1997 -- Criminal Prosecution Under New Medicaid Eligibility Law
- January 1997 -- Independent Contractors: A Comparison between Federal and California Law
1996 Hot Topics
- December 1996 -- Year-End Tax Planning Opportunities and Traps
- November 1996 -- Clinton vs. Dole: Dueling Tax Plans
- October1996 -- Thinking About Submitting a False Tax Return to Get a Loan? Think Again!
- September 1996 -- A Trap for Small Business Owners: The Electronic Funds Transfer Payment System
- August 1996 -- Taxpayer's Bill of Rights II
- July 1996 -- Life in Cyberspace, a Taxing Experience
- June 1996 -- The New Nanny Tax: Is Anyone Out There Paying It?
- May 1996 --Tycoon's Defective Will -- Who Gets His Billions?
- April 1996 --Using Trusts to Avoid Paying Taxes - Will This Work?
- March 1996 -- The Wealthy Slackers Relief Act
- February 1996 -- The Tax Protestor Movement: Proof that P.T. Barnum Was Right
- January 1996 -- Clinton's Counterproposal; Frequent Flier Ruling; Foreign Ownership of U.S. Real Property
1995 Hot Topics
- December 1995 -- Game Show Contestants and Republican Tax Highlights.
- November 1995 -- Chief Justice Blows His Estate Plan; Tax Problems for Athletes; The FBI wants CPA's to Fight Business Crimes; Outside Bill Collectors for the IRS?
- October 1995 -- Sec. 1031 and the O.J. Trial; Are the "Dream Team's" Fees Deductible?; IRS eases Business Costs Rules.
- September 1995 -- The Flat Tax Reconsidered.
- August 1995 -- Income in Respect to a Decedent; Qualified Personal Residence Trust; Club Dues.
- July 1995 -- Repayment of Salary is Deductible; Marketability and Minority Discounts for Gifts; S Corp. Compensation is Subject to Payroll Taxes; Lease Payments from S Corp. Treated as Salary.
- June 1995 -- Economic Reality Audits Threatens CPA's; Deduction of Litigation Costs Advanced; Expatriate Tax Avoidance.
- May 1995 -- IRS Targets Cash Reporting; Refund for Third Party Who Paid Taxes; IRS Levy Attaches to Take Home Pay.
- April 1995 -- How About A Flat Tax?
- March 1995 -- Age Bias - Taxation of Damage Awards Received by Employees.
- February 1995 -- The Republican's Contract with America.
|[Wealth Preservation] [Employee Stock Options] [Foreign Taxpayers] [Tax & Trust Scams] [Expert Witness] [General Tax Information]|
|All contents copyright ? 2008 Robert L. Sommers, attorney-at-law. All rights reserved. This internet site provides information of a general nature for educational purposes only and is not intended to be legal or tax advice. This information has not been updated to reflect subsequent changes in the law, if any. Your particular facts and circumstances, and changes in the law, must be considered when applying U.S. tax law. You should always consult with a competent tax professional licensed in your state with respect to your particular situation. The Tax Prophet(TM) is a trademark of Robert L. Sommers.|