The following FAQ's appeared in the Tax Prophet's bi-monthly column in the San
Francisco Examiner newspaper, Sunday edition, Business section (circulation - 900,000)
through November 26, 2000. Currently the column is not running.
2000 Frequently Asked Questions
- December 10, 2000 - Year-end Tax Planning (not published as
a newspaper column).
- November 26, 2000 - Tax Planning for Stock Options - Part 2
- November 12, 2000 - Tax Planning for Stock Options - Part 1
- October 29, 2000 - The Candidates Tax Proposals -
Crunching the Numbers - part 2
- October 15, 2000 - The Bush and Gore Tax Proposals - part
- October 1, 2000 - Proposals to Fix the Current Estate Tax
System - part 2
- September 17, 2000 - Repeal of the Estate Tax
- September 3, 2000 - Medical Deduction for Travel;
Transferring Money to a Relative's Account; Placing a Residence in an Irrevocable Trust
- August 20, 2000 - Wash Sales Rules and Potential Merger;
Sweat Equity Issues
- August 6,2000 - Inter-related Gift Transactions Between
U.S. and Foreigner Taxpayers; Tax-Free Exchange vs. Residence Exclusion
- July 23, 2000 - Tax Havens Under Fire
- July 9, 2000 - Deductible Business Expenses; Tax on Gains
by Foreign Students; Trust for Pets
- June 25, 2000 - Variable Annuities vs. Mutual Funds: Which
is Better?, Part 2 of 2
- June 11, 2000 - Variable Annuities Receive Scrutiny, Part 1
- May 28, 2000 - Update on Trust Scams
- May 14, 2000 - Margin Account Interest; Gift Tax Audit
Rates; Discharging Taxes in Chapter 13
- April 30, 2000 - Day Trading: Off-setting Capital Losses
and Gains; Electing Mark-to-Market Accounting
- April 16, 2000 - Eleventh Hour Tax Advice
- April 2, 2000 - Six Last-Minute Items to Consider When
Filing Your Return
- March 19, 2000 - Deduction for Broker's Fees; Payment of
Deductions with a Credit Card; Gifts of Bonds with Accrued Interest
- March 7, 2000 - Tax Shopping On-Line
- February 20, 2000 - Medical Expenses as Business
Deductions; Mortgage Interest Deduction; Tax Breaks for Students
- February 6, 2000 - Casualty Loss Limitations, Deductions
for Fines; Parent's Use of Child's Capital Gains
- January 23, 2000 - IRA Withdrawals for Education; Stock
Valuation for Estates; U.S. and California Residency Rules
- January 9, 2000 - Donation to Charity; Child as Joint
Tenant; and Gift by Husband and Wife
1999 Frequently Asked Questions
- December 26, 1999 - Last Minute Tax Planning Opportunities,
Part 2 of 2
- December 12, 1999 - Last Minute Tax Planning
Opportunities, Part 1 of 2.
- November 28, 1999 Donald Trumps Wealth Tax Proposal
- November 14, 1999 The Future of Internet Taxation
- October 31, 1999 Difficulties in Taxing E-Commerce
- October 17, 1999 A Moratorium on Internet Taxes
- October 3, 1999 Joint Bank Accounts; Taxation of Stock
Profits; State Taxation of Pensions; Federal Tax Burden
- September, 19, 1999 - Residence to Rental Property;
Revoking Mark-to-Market Election; "Reverse" Piercing of a Sham Trust
- September 5, 1999 - Residency Exclusion Time Periods;
Documenting Residency Improvements
- August 15, 1999 - Tax Scams Victimizing Charities
- August 1, 1999 - The Demise of Off-Shore Asset Protection
- July 18, 1999 - Tax Issues Involving Charities - Part 3
- July 4, 1999 - Taxation of Donations and Charities - part 2
- June 20, 1999 - Taxation of Donations and Charities - part
- June 6, 1999 Mortgage Interest Deductions
- May 23, 1999 - Early IRA Withdrawals
- May 9, 1999 - Growing Your Business Through
Acquisitions - tax aspects
- April 25, 1999 - Taxation of Day Traders
- April 11, 1999 - Paying Taxes Due; 6 Ways to Save During
- March 28, 1999 - Eight Last-Minute Items to Consider When
Filing Your Return
- March 14, 1999 - Top 5 Tax Breaks for 1998
- February 28, 1999 - Partnership Contribution; Sale of
Triplex & Residency Exclusion; Mutual Fund Sale, Loan Forgiveness as Gift
- February 14, 1999 - Filing by Telephone or On-Line; Tax
Payment by Credit Card
- January 31, 1999 - Stock Option Path to Riches - part 2
- January 17, 1999 - Stock Option Path to Riches - part 1
- January 3, 1999 - IRS 911 Procedures; Statutory Employee
Deductions; Qualified Small Business Stock Investments
1998 Frequently Asked Questions
- December 13, 1998 - IRS Improves Offer-in-Compromise Policy
- November 29, 1998 - Year-End Tax
- November 15, 1998 - S Corps; Foreign Dependency Exemption;
and Foreign Bank Accounts
- November 1, 1998 - Multiple Roth IRA Transfers; Internet
Taxation and LLC Taxation
- October 18, 1998 - Taxation of Life Insurance Proceeds;
Foreign Stock Purchase Via Internet
- October 4, 1998 - A Minor's Taxable Income; Deductions for
a Third Home and Taxation on Foreclosure
- September 20, 1998 - Employees vs. Contractors; Foreign
Consultants; Moving Expenses & IRS Collection Limits
- September 6, 1998 -Home Improvements; Rental Real
Estate Sales or Exchanges
- August 23, 1998 - IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998
- August 9, 1998 - IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998
- July 26, 1998 - Taxpayer Id. Numbers; Loan
"Points" & Residency Exclusion
- July 12, 1998 - Hope Scholarship; Child Credits &
- July 9 1998 - Special Report - 1998 Tax Act
- June 28, 1998 - Investment Clubs; Avoiding Probate; and S
corporations with Cancellation of Indebtedness Income
- June 14, 1998 - Theft loss for Trust Scam Fees, Strike Pay,
Foreign Parent as Joint Tenant
- May 31, 1998 - Residence Exclusion: Involving Two-Units, a Vacation Home, or upon Divorce; Inherited IRA and
- May 17 ,1998 - Tax Quiz: Part Two - Joint Tenancy;
Gifts, and Non-Citizen issues
- May 3, 1998 - Tax Quiz: Part One - Estate vs. Income Tax
- April 19, 1998 - Roth Rollover; Failure to File; Frivolous
Returns; and Real Estate Owner by Foreigner
- April 5, 1998 - Last Minute Tax Tips for Filing 1997 Tax
- March 22, 1998 - Roth Rollover Prior to Marriage; IRA or
Roth Eligibility; and Estate Tax Threshold
- March 8, 1998 - IRS audit roulette;Lifestyle audits; and
IRS cash rewards
- February 22, 1998 - Roth rollovers: minimum
distributions; 4-year averaging; tax vs. tax exempt portions; and rollover from SEP.
- February 8, 1998 - Taxation of Roth Rollover; Roth
Holding Period Rules; and Gifts to College-age Grandchildren.
- January 25, 1998 - Roth Rollovers; IRA vs. Roth; and
Principal Residence Sale.
- January 11, 1998 - Increasing Your Residency Exemption;
Using Your Residency Exemption Without Selling Your Home; and Residence Purchase by a
1997 Frequently Asked Questions
- December 28, 1997 - The Roth IRA and Estate Tax Changes
- December 21, 1997 - Planning for Capital Gains and
- December 14. 1997 - Year-End Tax Planning
- November 30, 1997 - Taxpayer's Bill of Rights III
- November 16, 1997 - A Seven-Step Program to Fix the
U.S. Tax System
- October 26, 1997 - When You Owe IRS
- October 12, 1997 - Dealing with the IRS Collection
- September 28, 1997 - Educational Benefits Under the
- September 14, 1997 - Gifts to Minors Using Custodial
- August 31, 1997 - Navigating the Capital Gains and Sale of
- August 17, 1997 - The Taxpayer's Relief Act of 1997 - A
Mixed Bag of Blessings
- August 3, 1997 - The Taxpayer's Relief Act of 1997 - Lotsa
- July 20, 1997 - IRS Indicts Two Men for Phony Trusts
- July 6, 1997 - Substance, Not Form, Important to IRS and
- June 22, 1997 - Deductions for rental of a room in your
house; limitations on business and entertainment business deductions
- June 1, 1997 - Foreign travel as an educational or
- May 18, 1997 - Sales of a vacation home, rental
property, tax on lease cancellation payments
- May 4, 1997 - Al Davis, the Raiders and taxes on loans
- April 20, 1997 - Taxpayers Beware: Trust Scams Update;
Mortgage Foreclosure Tax Scheme
- April 6, 1997 - 10 items to remember when filing your 1997
- March 23, 1997 - Long-term disability; F-1 Visa rules;
and Tax preparation deductions
- March 9, 1997 - Check-the-box regulations
- February 23, 1997 - Clinton's tax proposal for residence;
passive activity loss rules
- February 9, 1997 - Medical deductions for equipment and
home improvements; non resident children as dependents
- January 26, 1997 - How to Identify and Claim Casualty
- January 12, 1997 - Home-Office Deduction
1996 Frequently Asked Questions
- December 22, 1996 - Year-End Tax Planning (Part 1 or 2)
- December 23, 1996 - Year-End Tax Planning (Part 2 or 2)
- December 15, 1996 - Independent contractors: Comparison
between federal and state law; How long may a foreign person stay in the U.S. without
becoming a resident?
- November 17, 1996 - Early withdrawals from an IRA
account; Foreign student with capital gains
- November 3, 1996 - Sale of stock with unknown basis; gift
of stock; tax planning for Lotto winners
- October 20, 1996 - The Presidential Tax Plans
- October 6, 1996 - Gambling and Game Show Winnings,
Avoiding Sales Tax on Mobile Homes; Ownership of Real Property
- September 22, 1996 - Joint tenancy and estate taxes
- September 1, 1996 - Spouse's pre-marital debts;
California taxes paid by non-residents
- August 18, 1996 - Taxpayer's Bill of Rights II
- August 4, 1996 - Joint Tenancy property: gift and estate
- July 14, 1996 - California Income Taxes
- June 23, 1996 - Back pay and other wage-related damages.
- June 9, 1996 - Inheriting stocks; foreclosures revisited.
- May 26, 1996 - Fraudulent trust arrangements do not
- May 12, 1996 - Tax consequences of foreclosure.
- April 28, 1996 - Taxation of sales of stock.
- April 14, 1996- Educational trusts for children.
- April 9, 1996 - 12 items to consider before filing your
- March 17, 1996 - Using a company-owned vehicles;
campaign expenses for running for office.
- March 3, 1996 - Deduction for computer; employer tuition
- February 18,1996 - Deductions for educational expenses.
- February 13,1996 - Temporary residents; foreign students
- February 4, 1996 - Form 1127, LLC buy-sell agreements;
loans by foreign investors.
- January 23, 1996 - Employee stock incentive plans and
- January 1996 - Non-S.F. Examiner FAQ's.
1995 Tax Man Columns
- Unwed But Not Unwise
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Sunday, February 19, 1995.
- Foreign Investors: Plan Carefully
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday, February 21, 1995.
- '94 Began New Ways to Pay Taxes on Household Help
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday February 28, 1995.
- A Better Deal for Small Firms in California
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday, March 7, 1995.
- Planning is key to estate taxes
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday, March 14, 1995.
- Strategies to minimize estate taxes
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday, March 21, 1995.
- I.R.S. AUDIT? HAVE NO FEAR
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Sunday, March 25, 1995.
- How to deal with IRS demands
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday, March 28. 1995.
- Student Aid and Pensions
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday, April 4, 1995.
- Contract with America Tax Proposals
- San Francisco Examiner: Business Section, Tuesday, April 11, 1995.
[Employee Stock Options]
[Tax & Trust Scams]
[General Tax Information]
All contents copyright ? 2008 Robert L. Sommers, attorney-at-law. All rights reserved. This internet site provides information of a general nature for educational purposes only and is not intended to be legal or tax advice. This information has not been updated to reflect subsequent changes in the law, if any. Your particular facts and circumstances, and changes in the law, must be considered when applying U.S. tax law. You should always consult with a competent tax professional licensed in your state with respect to your particular situation. The Tax Prophet(TM) is a trademark of Robert L. Sommers.