The Tax Prophet is written by Robert L. Sommers of San Francisco, California, a sole practitioner, with more than 25 years experience as an attorney. He has been Certified as a Specialist in Taxation Law by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California. He has practiced law in Hawaii, New York and California. He also wrote a bi-weekly tax column for the San Francisco Examiner newspaper from 1995 through 2000.
Types of Clients
He represents U.S. and Foreign Individuals, Entrepreneurs and Small Companies, including:
• Closely-held Corporations
• Limited Liability Companies
• Trusts and Estates
Description of Services
Robert Sommers has a general tax and business law practice, with emphasis on the following areas of law:
• Estate planning - revocable living trusts, gifts and wills
• Federal and California tax controversies, audits and collections
• Tax appeals and litigation
• Foreign tax (foreign taxpayers investing or doing business in the U.S. and U.S. taxpayers investing or doing business abroad)
• Real property exchanges, purchases and sales
• Business purchases, sales and tax-free reorganizations
• Formation, operation and dissolution of corporations, partnerships, trusts and limited liability companies
Robert Sommers has represented and advised numerous U.S. and foreign individuals and small companies on a variety of tax, business and estate planning matters since 1976. He is a lecturer for California's mandatory continuing legal education program ("MCLE") for the tax courses listed below.
He has been certified as a Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California, a distinction earned by less than .05% of all attorneys licensed to practice law in California. He also received a postgraduate legal degree (LL.M.) in taxation from New York University School of Law in 1985, the premier graduate tax program in the U.S.